- Type of food: Kibble
- Custom ingredients: No
- Australian ingredients: 97%
- Puppy options: Yes
- Subscription: Yes
- Delivery locations: NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA, TAS
Scratch is an Australian-owned and made pet food company, with 97% of Scratch sourced from local suppliers. Independent and sustainable, Scratch sells 3 varieties of kibble on a subscription base model – two grain-free kibbles and one kibble with grains.
Scratch kibble is made from sustainably-sourced lean meat, whole Aussie veggies, healthy oils and plenty of fibre. They come in 2x 4kg sealable bags for freshness.
Scratch is all about “personalised” plans and while they do get to know your pooch before recommending a kibble plan, like asking things like age, sex, breed, activity level and current weight, as well as health issues like allergies, kidney issues, liver problems, at the end of the day, there are only 3 kibble offerings. If you select your dog has liver problems, for example, Scratch simply recommends you consult with your vet.
Where Scratch shines is in tailoring the amount of kibble your dog needs per day, recommending a certain amount based on your dog’s weight, activity level and whether your dog needs to lose weight, put on weight, is a puppy or senior etc.
As an added bonus, Scratch offers a money-back guarantee if your dog doesn’t enjoy the food, as well as 2% of its revenue donated to climate change and dog welfare charities (nice to know if you like philanthropic business).
|Turkey, Beef & Lamb||Yes||From $79 (8kg)|
|Sensitive Kangaroo||Yes||From $90 (8kg)|
|Pasture-raised Lamb||No||From $87 (8kg)|
Scratch also offers a range of treats like beef jerky, freeze-dried kangaroo and barramundi and lamb treats too.
Average Composition of Scratch
This is an example of the breakdown of the grain-free Turkey, Beef & Lamb kibble:
Ingredients: Meat Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Beef Liver Digest, Broad Beans, Chick Peas, Beet Pulp, Prebiotic, Alfalfa, Yucca Extract, Carrots, Chia, Omegas, Spinach, Pumpkin, Fibre, Vitamins & Potassium Kelp, Turmeric, Fats & Oils Beef Fat, Sunflower Oil, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Coconut Oil, DHA from AlgaeLong-Chain Omega-3s, Salt, DL-Methionine & Taurine, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate, Essential Vitamins & Minerals
Why You’ll Love Scratch
- 97% Aussie ingredients: With 97% of Scratch kibble ingredients sourced locally, if you want a kibble that’s all meat, veg and no filler, Scratch is the ideal option. With added vitamins and rich in fibre, there’s a whole lot of goodness packed into each drop of kibble.
- Good for every life stage: Whether you have a puppy, adolescent, adult or senior dog, Scratch caters to all life stages of your doggo, meaning from birth until the end, your dog can enjoy Scratch for a lifetime.
- Ideal for weight loss: By inputting your dog’s weight, breed, activity level and current physique, Scratch calculates the amount of energy your dog needs per day and translates that into how much kibble to feed your dog per day, so it’s great if you need to help your fur-child lose weight.
Who Should Avoid Scratch
Most dogs who enjoy their kibble and aren’t fussy eaters will like Scratch, but there are a few reasons you might want to reconsider choosing this brand:
- Your dog doesn’t do well on legumes: Two Scratch recipes are grain free, and the main carbs used are beans and chickpeas. If your dog has a sensitivity to legumes or is at risk of heart disease, you might opt for a brand that doesn’t use such a high amount of legumes.
- Want your dog on a raw diet: Scratch only offers kibble at the moment, and there are no raw food offerings. You can opt for a half and half Scratch subscription, meaning you can feed your dog half Scratch and half whatever else you want if that works for you.
- Don’t want a subscription: if you don’t want to order dog food on a subscription basis, we’d recommend trying a different brand as Scratch only offers their kibble on a subscription basis. In saying that, you can stop, slow down or pause your subscription at any time.
What Customers Say
Scratch doesn’t have any Google reviews yet, so we’ve taken these from the Scratch website.
“Max has always been a fussy eater (or snob) when it comes to food. My worries are now over, as he loves his ‘Scratch’ dry food. I wish I had found you years ago!! Thank you for making an amazing product that has all the benefits and nutrients that my little man needs.”- Karina M
“I first heard of Scratch from a chat on social media and decided to look into it. I liked everything about it, especially that it’s Australian made & is delivered to your door. I transitioned our Groodle puppy straight away and he has loved it right from the start.” – Felicity R
“My ridgeback x suffers from stomach issues and skin issues and his stomach and skin have been amazing since starting Scratch! The only problem is the bag sizes, 8 kg I’d gone is 12/13 days and the automatic delivery doesn’t come in time to be continuous.” – Jasmine G
How to Order Scratch
If you like the idea of kibble that’s made from the good stuff and is as natural as possible, Scratch is a great option! It’s convenient and is good for whatever life stage your pooch is at. It isn’t perfect – is it high in legumes – but no pet food brand is perfect anyway!
Ready to get your dog started on a kibble that’s actually good for them?