- You can get your claims processed on the spot with GapOnly®
- Less than 5 days of claim wait time
- Cover for overseas pet travel to New Zealand or Norfolk Island
- $0 excess, which allows you to claim for even the smallest vet fees
- 10% multi-pet discount
- Complimentary ID pet tag and first 2 months free for puppies and kittens
- Common vaccination-preventable diseases are not covered whether or not your pet has been vaccinated
- There are sub-limits for certain conditions
- More expensive compared to other companies
What’s Bow Wow Meow?
Bow Wow Meow aims to make pet insurance simple and stress-free.
As one of Australia’s most popular pet insurance companies, Bow Wow Meow has a track record of positive reviews—especially regarding their customer service and claim wait time.
The most impressive feature of Bow Wow Meow insurance is its $0 excess for all plans. This means you can claim even the smallest vet bills.
Similar to many pet insurance companies, this brand only covers cats and dogs.
The plans offered for dogs are Accident Plus, Peace of Mind, and Ultimate Care. Meanwhile, the plans available for cats include Accident Plus, Peace of Mind, Ultimate Care, plus Indoor Cat.
Let’s take a quick look at the main differences between each plan.
|Features||Accident Plus||Peace of Mind||Ultimate Care||Indoor Cat|
|Dental illness cover||No||No||Yes ($1,000)||No|
|Annual benefit limit||$10,000||$15,000||$20,000||$5,000|
In this article, we’ll look at the cost of Bow Wow Meow pet insurance, what’s covered, what’s not, and how this brand compares to other companies in the field.
Bow Wow Meow covers cats and dogs. The only eligibility criterion on their product disclosure statement is your pet’s age.
Your pet’s eligibility will depend on which plan you pick. For all plans, the minimum age is 8 weeks. For the Peace of Mind, Ultimate Care, and Indoor Cat plans, the maximum age is 9 years. However, there is no maximum age limit for the Accident Plus plan.
The pricing of Bow Wow Meow pet insurance depends on the following factors:
- The plan you choose. The most expensive plan is the Ultimate Care plan. This is followed by the Peace of Mind plan, which is the most popular choice and offers excellent value. The Indoor Cat and Accident Plus plans are cheaper compared to the rest. Accident Plus only covers accidental injuries, while the Indoor Cat plan is tailored to suit a cat less prone to injuries or illness due to being indoors.
- Benefit percentage: This refers to the percentage of vet bills you can claim. For instance, an 80% benefit percentage allows you to claim $80 for a $100 vet bill. You can choose between 60%, 70%, or 80% for the Peace of Mind plan. All other plans offer a predetermined benefit percentage of 80%.
- Routine Care optional add-on: The routine care add-on includes various procedures ranging from vaccinations and health checks to teeth cleaning, microchipping, and desexing. Sub-limits apply to these procedures.
- Alternative therapy optional add-on: This add-on is limited to $1,000 and is only available for the Ultimate Care plan. Alternative therapies include acupuncture, hydrotherapy, chiropractic manipulation, physiotherapy, and physical therapy. Sub-limits apply for each type of therapy.
- Breed. There are slight differences in the premium costs for various breeds. Some breeds are more prone to illness and cost more to treat, so this is taken into account.
- Age. Older dogs are more prone to illness and injury, hence, are more likely to require treatment. So, the older your pet is, the more expensive the premium.
- Your location. Vet bills may be priced differently depending on the area.
The following are the estimated premium cost prices of Bow Wow Meow pet insurance.
*The prices above are the monthly premium costs.
The estimated quotes above are based on the following:
- The Peace of Mind plan is selected.
- 70% benefit percentage and a $15,000 annual benefit limit.
- No routine care is added (can be added on for an extra $6-10 per month).
- $0 excess.
- The owner resides in New South Wales.
The following table compares the most expensive plan (Ultimate Care Plan) and the most popular choice (Peace of Mind plan). The estimated quotes are for a 1-year-old Golden Retriever.
|Features||Peace of Mind||Ultimate Care|
|Annual benefit limit||$15,000||$20,000|
|What’s covered||Accidental injury and illness||Accidental injuiry, illness, and dental illness|
|Sub-limits||Lower sub-limits for certain conditions.||Higher sub-limits for certain conditions (such as cruciate ligament conditions and tick paralysis)|
The Peace of Mind care plan already offers comprehensive cover with a high annual limit of $15,000. It’s a decent option if you’re looking for a more affordable plan.
Bow Wow Meow allows you to pay by instalments (fortnightly or monthly) or annually.
Bow Wow Meow Pet InsuranceGet a free quote
What makes Bow Wow Meow pet insurance worth it?
We only want the best for our fur kids. Bow Wow Meow insurance ensures you never have to choose between cost savings and the best possible treatment for your pets.
Vet visits and treatment can rack up pretty hefty bills. A broken bone may cost around $3,000 to $4,000 to treat in Australia. Meanwhile, tick paralysis treatment may cost up to $23,000 .
In the case of an unexpected vet bill, Bow Wow Meow ensures you don’t have to pay too much out of your pocket. They’re partnered with GapOnly®, which means you can get your claims processed and approved while you’re still at the vet. Hence, you’ll only have to pay the gap—and not the entire sum—out of your pocket.
Additionally, Bow Wow Meow offers $0 excess for all plans. So you can claim even the smallest bills without paying any charge.
The claim process is straightforward to perform. And most users have their claims processed and approved in less than a few days.
Currently, Bow Wow Meow is offering a 15% discount on your first year.
How does Bow Wow Meow’s price compare to other providers?
Bow Wow Meow is on the pricier side compared to other companies. Let’s compare Bow Wow Meow with another top player in the market, Knose.
Knose offers a monthly premium of $52 for a 1-year-old Golden Retriever. Meanwhile, Bow Wow Meow charges $71 for the same. The following table compares both brands at these quotes.
|Features||Bow Wow Meow||Knose|
|Annual benefit limit||$15,000||$12,500|
|Sub-limits||Applies for certain conditions||No sub-limits|
The major difference would be the annual benefit limit.
However, if you opt for a $25,000 annual benefit limit for Knose (while everything else remains the same as above), your monthly premium price will increase to about $72. That’s about the same price as Bow Wow Meow, except your annual benefit limit is $10,000 higher.
This shows that Knose is priced more competitively compared to Bow Wow Meow.
Nonetheless, you’ll have to consider other factors, such as the claim reimbursement wait time. Bow Wow Meow allows you to process your claims while you’re still at the vet. Also, they have a 10% multi-pet discount!
Plus, they have an impressive track record (that spans over two decades) as one of the fastest and most reliable pet insurance companies in the Australian market.
Also, do note that these premium prices will increase as your pet ages. It’s hard to say which company offers the best deal in the long run, since it’s difficult to compare or predict the margin of increase when your policy renews.
But if you have a limited budget, something like Knose offers more flexibility and affordability for a similar cover.
When comparing pet insurance companies, it’s best to look at the benefit percentage, excess, what’s covered, the sub-limits (if any), and other determining factors such as claim processing time and customer service.
Here are some details about Bow Wow Meow you may wish to know before making a choice.
Do take note of the following as well:
- Claim pre-approval is available. If your pet requires any treatment, you can submit an itemised estimate of costs from your vet. The pre-approval is only valid if approved by Bow Wow Meow in writing.
- The policy is automatically renewed unless you choose to opt out.
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Reviews
Bow Wow Meow has garnered a positive rating of 4.6 stars out of 5 based on over 400 reviews on TrustPilot.
Based on user reviews, their customer service is quick and professional. And users have mentioned that their questions, disputes, and concerns are attended to and resolved within a few days.
Plus, the claim process is swift, easy, and smooth. They note that the online form is simple to fill out and takes just minutes to complete.
On that note, most users get their claims reimbursed within a few days, which shows that Bow Wow Meow tends to be prompt with payments. With GapOnly®, claims can be processed in as quickly as 10 minutes!
Bow Wow Meow definitely tops the market as one of the most reliable and trustworthy pet insurance companies—so much so that some of their customers have been with them for almost a decade.
When should you consider insurance for your pet?
It’s best to get your pet insured as early as possible.
Bow Wow Meow does not offer cover for any pre-existing conditions, as with any other insurance company. Hence, getting your fur babies insured while they are still young and healthy ensures they get cover for most injuries or ailments that may strike in the future.
The minimum age requirement for Bow Wow Meow is 8 weeks. Your pets will receive lifetime cover as long as the policy is renewed. This means the company will continue to cover your pets, even as they age, until they pass on.
You can expect the monthly policy price to increase as your pet ages.
The cover you get depends on which plan you opt for.
|Accident Plus||Accidental injuries, tick paralysis, cruciate ligament conditions, emergency boarding, and overseas pet travel for New Zealand and Norfolk Island|
|Peace of Mind||Accidental injuries, illness (medical, hormonal, and surgical), tick paralysis, cruciate ligament conditions, emergency boarding, and overseas pet travel for New Zealand and Norfolk Island|
|Ultimate Care||Accidental injuries, illness (medical, hormonal, and surgical), dental illness, tick paralysis, cruciate ligament conditions, emergency boarding, and overseas pet travel for New Zealand and Norfolk Island|
The routine care add-on is available for all plans. Meanwhile, the alternative therapy add-on is only available for the Ultimate Care plan.
You can check out the complete list of what’s covered in the Bow Wow Meow product disclosure statement.
The following are some general exclusions:
- Pre-existing conditions (more information below)
- Vitamins, supplements, and food
- Elective treatment and procedures
- Behavioural conditions
- Vaccination-preventable diseases
You can refer to the policy disclosure statement for a complete list of exclusions.
There are three different ways you can submit your claims to Bow Wow Meow.
- You can have them submitted while you’re at your vet via GapOnly®. Your vet will receive the claims payment directly, and you’ll pay for the remainder.
- You can submit your claims via the secure Pet Portal.
- You can complete a paper claim form and send all the necessary documentation via post. The claim forms are available on their website.
Most users have their claims processed and reimbursed within a few days, which is impressive. And with GapOnly®, you’ll pay less out of your pocket.
Do note that GapOnly® is only available at certain vets. Payments via this system can only be processed from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm from Monday to Friday or between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm on Saturdays.
You can cancel your policy anytime with Bow Wow Meow by contacting them. To do so, you may call 1800 668 502 or email [email protected].
The company offers a 21-day cooling-off period which begins after you purchase the policy. If you cancel your policy during this cooling-off period, you’ll get a full refund of the premium paid—minus any transaction costs, taxes, or duties they cannot refund.
Say you cancel your policy after the cooling-off period and have not yet made a claim. In this case, you will still get a refund of the policy, minus the costs to cover the period you were insured for, a cancellation fee, and any taxes or transaction fees. However, this refund only applies to annual payments and not instalments paid fortnightly or monthly.
You can learn more about the cancellation process and outcomes by reading the product disclosure statement.
No, Bow Wow Meow does not cover pre-existing conditions, just like other insurance companies.
A pre-existing condition is a condition that occurred before the policy start date or during the waiting period. This excludes temporary conditions that did not exist or show symptoms in an 18-month period before your claim treatment date.
Bow Wow Meow’s product disclosure statement has a detailed explanation of how they define pre-existing conditions.
Because pre-existing conditions are not covered by insurance, it’s best to insure your pet as early as possible when they have yet to develop any ailment or injury.
The fact is, no matter how well we care for our pets, most will still require vet care or treatment at some point in their life. And this is where insurance companies like Bow Wow Meow can help.
Bow Wow Meow is a little pricier compared to other insurance companies. However, this company is one of the longest-standing and most prominent in the market, with an incredible track record of excellent service. They have insured over 100,000 Australian cats and dogs to date! If you’re looking for a reliable insurance company with a rapid and easy claim process, Bow Wow Meow is an excellent candidate. Caring for a sick or injured pet can understandably be stressful. So, the company has streamlined their claim process to make it as simple and stress-free as possible for you.PawInsure.com.au