6 Best Cat Water Fountains in 2020
Fresh water is primarily needed to keep our pet(s) hydrated and more hygienic. Hence, it promotes good health. Today, we came up with the six (6) best cat water fountains that are designed not only to give our companion a water feature of its own but also a device that encourages healthy drinking habits.
Serving water in bowls can sometimes deter pussycats from drinking as the water becomes stale after several hours. Apart from this, it also attracts dirt and food debris that facilitate the growth of bacteria. Research suggests that cats dislike still water because they learned to associate it with bacteria.
According to veterinarian Dr Jennifer Coates, an adult cat of 4.5 kilograms needs about a cup of water per day. Consequently, a pet drinking fountain can help ensure our cat is consuming enough fresh, clean, safe as well as enticing water each day.
1. PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Cat and Dog Water Fountain
PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum is ideal for households with multiple felines due to its large (4.97 litre) capacity with built-in reservoir. It features a pump with adjustable flow and a 12.7-centimetre free-falling stream that gives kitties plenty of room to drink water.
This pet water fountain includes a replaceable carbon filter that removes the odours and provides the water with a fresh, pleasant taste. Moreover, it is made of BPA-free plastic material. Thus, and it can be washed in a dishwasher.
- The large-capacity bowl and reservoir mean less refilling and less chance of your pet running out of water.
- The free-falling water stream can be easily adjusted to meet the needs of your beloved cat.
- The replaceable carbon filters keep water free of odours and bad tastes.
- Prefilter ensures that hair and debris do not make their way into the pump.
- Receiving ramp manages the sound of the falling water.
- Top-shelf dishwasher safe
- As the top of the reservoir is rounded, you may need to hold it upright while filling.
- This BPA-free plastic cat fountain is less hygienic compared to the stainless steel and ceramic ones.
- It can be tricky to clean the inner part of the fountain.
- There is no on/off switch; the cord must be removed from either the unit or the electrical outlet to stop the operation of the pet fountain.
- For indoor use only.
Where to buy: Ready Pet Go
2. Catit Flower Fountain
This pet water fountain has three water flow settings to meet the needs of a picky feline drinker. It features a small but energy-efficient pump and an extensive 3-litre re-circulating system that was designed to take up little floor space.
Furthermore, it is made of BPA-free material and includes dual-action water softening filter – removing chlorine odours, bacteria, debris and cat hair.
- Adjustable flow control cap allows you to decide from 3 different flow rates: gentle flow, bubbling top or calm stream.
- 3 litres water capacity
- Dual-action filtration system with water-softening features
- Compact and energy-efficient water pump
- Less hassle and easy to assemble/disassemble
- It is easy to wash using natural soap.
- Maximum oxygenation ensures fresher, safer, cleaner, and better-tasting water.
- BPA-free material guarantees extra-safe and non-toxic for your best bud.
- May not be ideal for multi-cat households
- Some problems with durability primarily related to the water pump
- Few issues of certain microorganisms settling at the main reservoir
- Not recommended by the manufacturer for dishwashing
- The BPA-free plastic fountain is less hygienic compared to stainless steel or ceramic counterparts.
Where to buy: Pet Circle
3. Pioneer Pet Raindrop
This cat drinking fountain features a stainless steel bowl; vet-recommended and fashionista-approved design! Pioneer Pet Raindrop is a big step up from boring water bowls. The rustproof surface is easy to clean and maintain – keeping bacteria away from building up and infecting your feline companion.
This cat fountain accentuates a circulating design, 1.77-litre capacity and replaceable charcoal filter that rids tap water of unnatural taste and odour.
- Fresh, circulating water increases your cat’s drive for hydration.
- Reduces time refilling with its large capacity
- Dishwasher safe, stainless steel construction allows easy cleaning.
- Replaceable and activated carbon (charcoal) filter assures clean and pure water.
- Modern raindrop shape
- Stainless steel is safer and more hygienic for kitties.
- Low noise
- Requires weekly fountain cleaning and monthly pump disassembling/maintenance
- No adjustable flow control
- If your cat prefers a free-falling stream, this fountain won’t be appealing.
- Lacks a foam filter to keep hair and debris out of the pump
Where to buy: Pet Circle
4. Cat Mate Pet Fountain
The Cat Mate Pet Fountain provides fresh flowing water on multiple drinking levels: two waterfall streams & one pool. It includes a ramp to reduce water splashing – minimizing potential mess on the floor without negating the beneficial effects of continuously flowing stream.
Reviewers particularly emphasize one of its strong points; the Isolated Pump System (ISP) that enables remarkably (whisper) quiet operation. The pump has a low voltage power supply for safety and low (2 watts) consumption.
- Fully adjustable water flow mechanism
- Features a replaceable polymer/activated carbon filter cartridge for added water purification
- Easy to clean bowls help save time during routine maintenance.
- 2.07-litre water capacity
- The extremely quiet operation will not disturb or rattle your pussycat while drinking.
- Completely dishwasher-safe
- Vet-recommended for health and vitality
- The pump should be disassembled and cleaned every two weeks to prevent building up of limescale.
- Issues related to the motor’s reliability and durability
- Few concerns with moulds building up inside the cat water fountain
Where to buy: Amazon
5. IPETTIE Tritone Ceramic Cat Drinking Fountain
Made from natural ceramic, the IPETTIE Tritone Fountain is ideal if you are looking for a non-toxic and eco-friendly drinking solution for your domesticated pet. The cat water fountain features a triple free-falling stream design and dual filtration – using both chemical and mechanical systems.
Additionally, the foam pump stops pet hair, particles and other debris from entering the stream while the charcoal and carbon filter removes bad tastes and odours. The device runs ultra-quiet and is low in energy consumption, running at just 2 watts.
- Best for cats that develop chin acne from plastic
- Holds up to 2.1 litres of water at a time
- Comes with a spare pump that can be very useful in areas with hard water where pumps require regular cleaning.
- The high-quality and natural ceramic is dishwasher safe.
- Includes three (3) additional carbon filters
- Easy to clean and disassemble/assemble
- Generally more expensive than plastic
- Some concerns over the durability of the pump
- The ceramic bowl is cumbersome (at 3.18 kilograms) and can break if dropped accidentally.
Where to buy: eBay
6. Veken Automatic Cat Water Fountain
The Veken Pet Fountain is designed for small to medium-sized pets and is perfect for supplying hygienic & fresh water for your furry feline. Its triple filtration system reduces particles and contaminants to keep your kitty healthier.
This water dispenser highlights three (3) variable flow design. It means that you can adjust the water flow to befit your puss’ needs. In addition, the energy-efficient (low consumption) circulation system oxygenates the water while its ultra-quiet pump operation could last for up to four years.
- Made from BPA-free PP resin that is durable and is especially designed for daily use for multiple kitties
- Comes with a complete silicone pad to catch splashes, reducing the amount of water on the floor.
- 2.5 litres water capacity means less work while the circulation system ensures liquid is always oxygenated and fresh.
- The bright colours and three (3) adjustable flow modes attract pet’s curiosity
- Low consumption, ultra-quiet pump
- The pump requires cleansing every two weeks to ensure optimum performance.
- Some pump durability issues
- The cat drinking fountain requires access to mains electricity. Therefore, extra care needs to be taken with the placement of the cable.
Where to buy: Amazon
I looked over dozens of ‘cat water fountains’ aiming to find the ones of the highest quality that are suitable for any budget. I took into consideration the best recommended among Australian websites. Finally, I have selected and come up with the six (6) top-rated and best-reviewed water fountains you can buy for your furry companions.