6 Best Vacuum Cleaners for Dog Hair
Oftentimes, a generic vacuum cleaner isn’t just as competent to sweep through every trace of our beloved canine – and that’s where the six (6) best vacuum cleaners for dog hair come in.
Did you know that Australia has one of the highest pet ownership rates on the planet? In fact, over 62% of all homes in Australia have at least one pet! Yes, pet – like dogs.
Having a pooch can be good for our mental health. Apparently, they prevent the risk of anxiety and depression. Thus, dogs keep us more active. And most of us could not imagine a life without our furry companions.
But they are furry, hairy… and that means they shed!
1. Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog
Miele is well well-known, regarded and trusted by Australian consumers for its several pet-specific products on offer. Its particular vacuum cleaner model (C3 Cat & Dog) has an impressive control panel where you can change the suction power depending on the floor type.
The 2000W motor provides deep cleaning and is assisted by the turbo brush that makes it hell on earth for any dog hair on the floor or carpet.
The main feature of this best pet vacuum is the filtration system; the Active AirClean filter – designed to neutralise odours before they escape the exhaust. It is especially suitable for allergy sufferers. In addition, its 4.5-litre dust bag means a lot more cleaning and a lot less emptying!
- Powerful suction
- Active AirClean Technology takes away odours
- Features an extra-long cord
- Comes with comprehensive accessories (crevice nozzle, upholstery nozzle as well as a synthetic dusting brush including both a turbo brush and a mini version).
- Large 4.5-litre capacity bag
- Heavy at 5.4 kgs
- You do have to change the bag when it’s full
- Additional tools can be expensive
- Struggles a little when trying to suck up large debris
Where to buy: Harvey Norman
Price: $499 + FREE Delivery
2. Hoover Dog & Cat Turbo Bagless Vacuum
If you are looking for a vacuum generally geared towards dog hair vacuuming, this one’s hard to beat the price; it’s less than $100. This Hoover’s package is definitely attractive – saving you over 500 extra dollars.
With Dog & Cat Turbo Bagless’ 1800W motor, removing your dog’s hair from the carpet becomes efficient and effective. It features a HEPA filtration, classified as anti-allergy for a healthier clean. This vacuum comes with an air-driven rotating turbo head that lifts dust and debris.
- Very budget-friendly compared to other pet vacuum models
- Powerful 1800W motor delivers a strong suction power
- Easy to use and manoeuvre
- Turbo Head lifts carpet fibres to remove stubborn dog hair
- HEPA filtration improves the air quality in your home
- Bagless canister for hassle-free disposal
- Premium Hoover accessories for an effective top to bottom clean
- Short 4-metre long cord
- Noisy at higher power
- The hose doesn’t have a clip-on attachment to the body for storage
Where to buy: GODFREYS
3. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal
Australian homes are full of unsatisfied men and women dragging around generic vacuums that seem to make life more difficult – falling over at every turn. But here comes the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball. Its design accentuates superior handling. The wand articulates 360 degrees to give you greater control. The vacuum also has a huge wheel on each side, which makes the body super-sturdy going around corners.
This Dyson model brings the dust barrel much closer to the ball. It also features an electric motor much lower in the chassis. You don’t have to worry about an overzealous dog tipping over because it can take a beating and won’t topple over.
- The only vacuum with no dirty filters to wash or replace
- Ball technology for smooth steering
- One-click attachments make it easy to change tools
- Large, high-capacity bin
- Articulated handle for easy, versatile cleaning
- Longer wand – extends up to 1250mm to clean hard-to-reach places
- Tangle-free carbon fibre turbine – great to get hair and debris off the upholstery
- It doesn’t handle stairs as well as some other models
- Limited wand manoeuvrability
- The bulk of the ball can make it difficult to clean under low furniture
- One major downside is that it has a steep retail price
Where to buy: Kogan.com
Price: $749 + FREE Shipping
4. Hoover Eco Pets Turbo Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
This Hoover features their Deep-Cleaning Turbobrush tool, which lifts carpet fibres to clean more thoroughly, suctioning up any dog hairs and directing them through a washable HEPA filter. It also features an energy-efficient 1100W motor that delivers superior suction.
It has a massive 1.75L bagless capacity, so you can clean for longer without stopping to empty the canister.
- Deep-cleaning Turbo Brush floor head for quick dog hair removal
- Multi-cyclonic technology for increased airflow
- Energy-efficient motor reduces power consumption
- Washable HEPA filter reduces maintenance costs
- Large 1.75-litre bagless capacity
- One-touch button emptying system
- One of the cheapest among other pet vacuums on the market
- The power cord could be longer
- Some users found the attachments difficult to change
Where to buy: GODFREYS
5. Shark Rotator Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
This mid-priced Shark upright vacuum is very good at removing dog hair. It comes with a comprehensive range of tools with onboard storage. It also has a washable HEPA filter plus it’s bagless, so you won’t need to keep forking out for vacuum bags.
While this Shark Rotator Lift-Away Upright vacuum is not marketed as a pet-specific option, independent testers named it their ‘mid-range marvel’. They gave it a glowing recommendation in the dog and cat-fur blitzing department.
- Features a detachable pod for more portable cleaning and hard-to-reach areas
- Traps 99.99% of allergens
- Includes pet-specific ‘Pet Multi-Tool’
- Some users have difficulty attaching and detaching accessories
- At 6.2kg, some find this model heavy and cumbersome
- Not ideal for pets with very long hair
Where to buy: Harvey Norman
6. Vax Blade 2 Max Cordless Handstick Vacuum Cleaner
Weighing in 3.2kg, this offering from Vax is lightweight and easy to store. Its detachable and multi-handle technology offers a comfortable experience while removing pooch hair on stairs – allowing you to tackle those tricky to clean angles with ease. It also features a lasting lithium battery that carries a 45-minute runtime.
With Boost Mode, the Vax Cordless Blade 2 Max Cordless Handstick Vacuum can draw on extra suction power, particularly useful for picking up stubborn dirt around your home. It comes with a 3-stage filtration system actively works to remove your dog’s shedding hair – capturing up to 99.8%.
- Sleek design and super lightweight
- Features an LED light to show dust under the furniture
- Boost mode provides extra power for picking up stubborn dog hair
- Motorised floor head for deep-down cleaning
- Up to 45 minutes of run time
- Lithium battery technology provides fade-free power
- Vax Core Processor delivers strong performance
- Powerful and efficient brushless motor
- Dust Vault 3-stage filtration.
- The battery only lasts around 15 minutes if used
on maximum suction power
- Smaller bin (.6L) requires regular emptying
- Noise levels at max power are also significant
Where to buy: Harvey Norman
With great dog(s) comes great house cleaning responsibility! Remember, though, that not all vacuums are created equal. Double-check these detailed vacuum reviews before you buy to make sure you don’t end up with a dud.
For dog hair, particularly on carpet and upholstery, you’ll want a cleaning device that packs a powerful punch. Moreover, you want a vacuum cleaner that also comes with fittings that help that suction get in amongst the carpet fibres to pull out tangled-in animal hair.